Skip to main content

From the pages of Mata Harian.

I translated this from yesterday's copy of my favourite Malay national daily, Mata Harian:

"I Could Have Done Better"

by Ahmad Darwin

GUNUNG RAPAT: Although there is no "top" SPM candidate according to the Education Ministry, Che Dik Sufian can count herself in the higher rankings of straight-A students, scoring 30 1As. However, this student from SMK Gunung Rapat is unhappy with her results, saying that she could have done better.

"I was aiming for 34 1As," Che Dik said, sobbing into her results slip. "After Che Amalina Bakri scored 17 1As, I knew I had to get double her results."

She scored 2 2As for Blogging and Texting, and 2 3Bs for Youtubing and Modern Mathematics. Her parents have tried to console her but to no avail. Che Dik plans to appeal to the Ministry for better results.

Asked to why she so desperately wanted to have 34 1As, Che Dik replied that it was her duty to her teachers, school and country. Now that she had failed them, she said that there was no point in living if her appeal to the Ministry did not go well.

Che Dik's parents, who are practising lawyers, said that they would support Che Dik in whatever she planned to take up in the future, but admitted that they would be happier if she considered Law instead of suicide. They also said that if only they had stopped her from resting at night and told her to study harder, then maybe Che Dik would have received the results she wanted.

Tips from Top-Scorers

Mata Harian talked to some of the Top-Scorers in SMK Gunung Rapat and asked them to reveal their secrets of success:

Yippie Yap (88 1As): "I kept late hours, not studying, but downloading recent episodes of South Park and Heroes. I don't need to study. I'm genius, maa."

Khwarizmi Salleh (42 1As): "If your mother kept a rotan and wasn't scared to use it, you'd study too."

Sam Suresh (96 1As): "The secret to success is to have an idol. Remember what he or she achieved. Picture that achievement in mind. Now picture you gaining that achievement. In my case, I imagined hiking all the toll rates in the region. I was inspired to get all the 1As I could."

Comments

  1. Wish they had blogging as a subject when I took my MCE a lifetime ago, then I would've scored, oh, 88 As. 88 is a nice number.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boleh mati baca ni... :D

    I think I would have F9 my Blogging subject with my lousy anti-spam defensive skills. Must go for training again! Cannot. Let. Country. And. Countrymen. And. Countrywomen. Down.

    ReplyDelete
  3. (laughs and trips over)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is hilarious!! I rolled over laughing. Incidentally, I wrote an anecdote about this for the National Day Mahathir book compilation too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Simply too hilarious and profound.

    You have to tell more about this Mata Harian.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You mean you don't read the Mata Harian? It costs only RM1, even after they switched to the new compact format.

    Though its circulation is less than its two competitors, the Mata Harian is packed with more information, more pullouts (Mata Duitan, Mata-Mata, Cermin Mata, etc.) and more pictures of sexy tennis players in the Sports (Mata Keranjang) pages.

    Mata Harian is unique in that the ideology of its writers and editors range from conservative to liberal, from pro-government to critical. In short, it is a very confused newspaper and the only consistent thing about them is that they are inconsistent on where they stand.

    They are noted for being very progressive in their use of Bahasa Melayu and often make up new ways of manipulating the language faster than you can say "Dewan Bahasa dan Pustaka".

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha - good one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. If there were a competition for Funniest Local Blog, I am so voting for this post! Add in your comment, and it's deadly --- all your Mata can Mati one...:D

    P.S. By the way, El Presidente (PLAFC), are you attending our idol's new play?

    ReplyDelete
  9. You are too kind, Kenny. I'll try to make it but I'm not sure if I can. I'm in a busy patch right now so I won't even be attending any of the literary events this month :(

    ReplyDelete
  10. heh.

    if download heroes and south park can get 88 A1s, I go download FRIENDS, ANTM, One Tree Hill, Gilmore Girls, The O.C., I can get 888 A1s and get a full lifetime scholarship plus luxury expenditure at Harvard or even Oxford given by the MOE.

    heh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ah, but are you a Chinese Genius (tm)? Hmm? Hmm?

    ReplyDelete
  12. so when is mata harian available at silversfish ah?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I doubt Silverfish would carry Malay Tabloids...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson: Commemorative Covers are Lame.

Well, I got the first day cover that commemorates the 35th anniversary of the establishment diplomatic relations between China and Malaysia that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Except that it's not a first day cover, it's a commemorative cover, which is a slightly different beast. I guess I should read the news article properly next time! The difference between the two is that first day covers are specially-designed envelopes stuck on with specially-designed stamps, and marked with a specially-designed postmark. A commemorative cover is a specially-designed envelope... and that's it. All in all, it's an unremarkable affair, especially if you're used to well-designed first day covers (not that Malaysian first day covers are well-designed... but I digress). Oh sure, a commemorative cover has a stamp printed right on to it but that's just like an overglorified aerogramme. Lame. On the whole, what a disappointment. I haven't been collecting first day cover

HOWTO: Get Rid of Silverfish

The bane of every book collecting person: the Silverfish. DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!! How to get rid of them? If one book has been infected, place it inside an air-tight plastic bag along with some silica gel desiccant. The silica gel is important to get rid of moisture, because you will now place the sealed plastic bag with the book in it inside the freezer. Leave it in there for a couple of days so that those bugs catch their death of cold. If you're feeling particularly paranoid, (like I usually am) feel free to leave the plastic bag in there for a week. If they're not dead, then you might likely have an infestation of zombie silverfish , which is out of the scope of this blogpost. But what if a whole colony of silverfish decided to invade your whole bookcase? Then you have to make sure you're ready for war. Place a generous amount of silica gel (or if you can find it, diatomaceous earth) behind your books at the back of the shelves so that moisture levels remain low.

Send me to Clarion West! - My crowdfunding effort.

I just launched my crowdfunding page to help fund my Clarion West trip on GoGetFunding and I am nervous as heck. Anyway here's a link . Any help or support much appreciated even if it's just to share the link around. Thank you so much!