Skip to main content

I want to write fiction, I say.

"I want to be a published writer," I tell them.
"I want to write fiction," I say to them.

The response I usually get are some raised eyebrows, and an indifferent "oh" followed by a pause, a look beyond my shoulder, and then, "tell me if you publish something". Then they walk off.

If they don't walk off, then they say something to the effect of: "But there's no money in writing!" Then they give me a look like I've just told them I've invested in a get-rich-quick scam. "Have you thought of this carefully? Are you sure?"

"They" are the sort of people who think bookstores are only good for purchasing a copy of Azizi Ali's How to Become a Property Millionaire or mXe! Five Keys to Become an Extreme Millionaire. Forgive my naivete, but it never fails to amaze me that money seems to be the only impulse that fuels them on. Attempts of explaining to them that I'm pursuing writing because that's what I like to do (rather than what I need to do, e.g., get a proper job) seems to fall on incomprehension, resulting in fear and misunderstanding and panic.

DON'T PANIC.

Look. I'm not in this for the money. It's not like I'm quitting my job to write full-time (which is a bit weird because my current job involves me writing full-time anyway). I write stories to get them published because knowing other people will likely read them gets me high. Like how young boys write silly love poems to impress girls they have a crush on but aren't really interested in making the girls like them, rather, to show off their art. But on a vastly larger scale. You know?

Er, no? Um, okay. Bad example. Try this. Remember that kid in class who always drew comic books for his friends to read? Yeah? Well, my writing's in that same spirit. The joy of entertaining others by creating something of your own. Taken to another level (sorta).

What? Still don't geddit? Fine, fine! It's nice getting an honorarium once in a while. Happy now?

Comments

  1. I don't think I've ever told anyone (in so many words, certainly) that I want to be a published writer. You're much braver than I ;)

    Well, remember what Lydia Teh said about being hungry! I'm sure you'll achieve your dream sooner than you think...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks!

    Actually, technically, aren't I a published writer already? *teehee*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ted, do think about contributing to my sequel yes? I have plenty of submitted stories, but very few quality ones. So far, I've got 8 that will make it and I have to write 2 more of my own. I now understand why some people who collect anthologies turn to their friends whom they know can write instead.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don't worry, Xeus... a story by me might appear in your inbox sooner than you think... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Irene, I think Ted's hungry and he's getting a good start in tackling that plate of fiction.

    Ted, way to go. Let's cheer each other on our journey to fiction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Lydia! I am very curious as to what sort of fiction you would write!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson: Commemorative Covers are Lame.

Well, I got the first day cover that commemorates the 35th anniversary of the establishment diplomatic relations between China and Malaysia that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Except that it's not a first day cover, it's a commemorative cover, which is a slightly different beast. I guess I should read the news article properly next time! The difference between the two is that first day covers are specially-designed envelopes stuck on with specially-designed stamps, and marked with a specially-designed postmark. A commemorative cover is a specially-designed envelope... and that's it. All in all, it's an unremarkable affair, especially if you're used to well-designed first day covers (not that Malaysian first day covers are well-designed... but I digress). Oh sure, a commemorative cover has a stamp printed right on to it but that's just like an overglorified aerogramme. Lame. On the whole, what a disappointment. I haven't been collecting first day cover

HOWTO: Get Rid of Silverfish

The bane of every book collecting person: the Silverfish. DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!! How to get rid of them? If one book has been infected, place it inside an air-tight plastic bag along with some silica gel desiccant. The silica gel is important to get rid of moisture, because you will now place the sealed plastic bag with the book in it inside the freezer. Leave it in there for a couple of days so that those bugs catch their death of cold. If you're feeling particularly paranoid, (like I usually am) feel free to leave the plastic bag in there for a week. If they're not dead, then you might likely have an infestation of zombie silverfish , which is out of the scope of this blogpost. But what if a whole colony of silverfish decided to invade your whole bookcase? Then you have to make sure you're ready for war. Place a generous amount of silica gel (or if you can find it, diatomaceous earth) behind your books at the back of the shelves so that moisture levels remain low.

Send me to Clarion West! - My crowdfunding effort.

I just launched my crowdfunding page to help fund my Clarion West trip on GoGetFunding and I am nervous as heck. Anyway here's a link . Any help or support much appreciated even if it's just to share the link around. Thank you so much!