Skip to main content

Kata-Suara January 08

A bit late on this, I know, but crazy things have been happening in my life lately, and it didn't just include my honourable prime minister announcing another day of holiday especially for me. Wow! He must've known how tired and ragged I've been feeling!

So! Last Saturday, RA Fine Arts Gallery held a spoken word event of their own, called "Kata-Suara", which is a neat riff on "spoken word".

First to read was Fazli Ibrahim, who read a travelogue of his which was published in a 2006 anthology of writing, KataHati.

Then Pat Low took the mic and read a poem, as well as a monologue, The Tallest Durian Tower in the World (or something like that, I didn't take any notes). But if you've heard her read at Seksan's, you've heard the monologue before. But previous knowledge of the monologue did not hurt my enjoyability of it; I still found it funny and meaningful.

Next up was poet extraordinaire, Rahmat Haron, who proceeded to surprise the audience with his singing of his poetry.

Awang Goneng, of Growing Up in Trengganu fame, was initially asked to read an excerpt from his book but he had other commitments.

There was a short break with before Haris Zalkapli read two articles he wrote, one in Malay, the other in English.

And then it was this handsome young man's turn. He looks like me, sounds like me! Ted Mahsun (cough cough) read a short story entitled Pak Sudin's Bicycle.

Tan Sei Hon performed two really neat songs, which had the crowd tapping their feet. Actually, no, I don't know. But I did, at least.

And then it was national laureate Pak Samad's turn at the mic. He took the chance to criticise the decision of the Ministry of Education not to include any works by a Malaysian national laureate. One of the reasons this was done was because such classic works were considered "too hard" for students, to which Pak Samad responded that in his time he had to learn Shakespeare and other English classics; those weren't easy reading either.

I'd have to agree. Reading and studying Salina (for example) wouldn't be as mindcrashing as it is with say, King Lear. Finally, he read a poem from his self-titled anthology of poems. A video of Pak Samad's speech can be found on Firdaus Ariff's blog.

On the whole, a pretty good experience! Also, free food. And the chance to rub shoulders with Pak Samad. As well as other interesting people and bloggers. Awesome.

More nitty gritty in today's Utusan. You'd have to switch on your Malay-reading skills, ya.

Comments

  1. The video of Pak Samad's poem have been uploaded at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVyPftHQGWY courtesy of Mr. Karim as well as the reading of Growing Up in Trengganu - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9YWqOqh3Lw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! Great! Thanks very much. I had wanted to show my wife the clip of Aiman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Salam Ted,
    Cerpen yg dibaca menarik.Teruskan!
    Seronok berbual dgn saudara pada petang tersebut.

    Zul

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson: Commemorative Covers are Lame.

Well, I got the first day cover that commemorates the 35th anniversary of the establishment diplomatic relations between China and Malaysia that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Except that it's not a first day cover, it's a commemorative cover, which is a slightly different beast. I guess I should read the news article properly next time! The difference between the two is that first day covers are specially-designed envelopes stuck on with specially-designed stamps, and marked with a specially-designed postmark. A commemorative cover is a specially-designed envelope... and that's it. All in all, it's an unremarkable affair, especially if you're used to well-designed first day covers (not that Malaysian first day covers are well-designed... but I digress). Oh sure, a commemorative cover has a stamp printed right on to it but that's just like an overglorified aerogramme. Lame. On the whole, what a disappointment. I haven't been collecting first day cover

HOWTO: Get Rid of Silverfish

The bane of every book collecting person: the Silverfish. DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!! How to get rid of them? If one book has been infected, place it inside an air-tight plastic bag along with some silica gel desiccant. The silica gel is important to get rid of moisture, because you will now place the sealed plastic bag with the book in it inside the freezer. Leave it in there for a couple of days so that those bugs catch their death of cold. If you're feeling particularly paranoid, (like I usually am) feel free to leave the plastic bag in there for a week. If they're not dead, then you might likely have an infestation of zombie silverfish , which is out of the scope of this blogpost. But what if a whole colony of silverfish decided to invade your whole bookcase? Then you have to make sure you're ready for war. Place a generous amount of silica gel (or if you can find it, diatomaceous earth) behind your books at the back of the shelves so that moisture levels remain low.

Send me to Clarion West! - My crowdfunding effort.

I just launched my crowdfunding page to help fund my Clarion West trip on GoGetFunding and I am nervous as heck. Anyway here's a link . Any help or support much appreciated even if it's just to share the link around. Thank you so much!