Skip to main content

Obligatory Birthday Post.

I was reading The Malaysian Reader, a really good local book blog which celebrates its second birthday today.

That made me wonder when my blog's birthday was. Turns out its today as well. Oops. Totally forgot!

I made a promise to myself in that first blog post (get a story published in an American magazine) and I've still to deliver on that. Probably because over the years I forgot what I started this blog for... it started out as a blog to document my writing and over time it slowly became a blog about books and writing in general.

Well, I'm still young (or so many people tell me) so I've still got time. But I'd better work harder because the competition is so much more tougher and crazier than it was in 2006.

I really want to make 2012 a year where I write more than I've written before, and so far I've been more productive in my fiction than I've ever been in the past six years. Hopefully I will be able to show the fruits of my efforts before the year is out.

For those who've been reading my blog over the years, especially those who kept asking why I didn't post during my wilderness years (2009-2011) where I didn't post much and even when I did it wasn't about books, thanks for being loyal and sticking around.

As you can see, I'm blogging about books and writing consistently again and hopefully I will continue to do so for many years to come. :)

And for those who've been bugging me for a digital copy of Haruki Murakami's Pinball, 1973, boy, have I got something special for you soon...

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson: Commemorative Covers are Lame.

Well, I got the first day cover that commemorates the 35th anniversary of the establishment diplomatic relations between China and Malaysia that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Except that it's not a first day cover, it's a commemorative cover, which is a slightly different beast. I guess I should read the news article properly next time! The difference between the two is that first day covers are specially-designed envelopes stuck on with specially-designed stamps, and marked with a specially-designed postmark. A commemorative cover is a specially-designed envelope... and that's it. All in all, it's an unremarkable affair, especially if you're used to well-designed first day covers (not that Malaysian first day covers are well-designed... but I digress). Oh sure, a commemorative cover has a stamp printed right on to it but that's just like an overglorified aerogramme. Lame. On the whole, what a disappointment. I haven't been collecting first day cover

HOWTO: Get Rid of Silverfish

The bane of every book collecting person: the Silverfish. DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!! How to get rid of them? If one book has been infected, place it inside an air-tight plastic bag along with some silica gel desiccant. The silica gel is important to get rid of moisture, because you will now place the sealed plastic bag with the book in it inside the freezer. Leave it in there for a couple of days so that those bugs catch their death of cold. If you're feeling particularly paranoid, (like I usually am) feel free to leave the plastic bag in there for a week. If they're not dead, then you might likely have an infestation of zombie silverfish , which is out of the scope of this blogpost. But what if a whole colony of silverfish decided to invade your whole bookcase? Then you have to make sure you're ready for war. Place a generous amount of silica gel (or if you can find it, diatomaceous earth) behind your books at the back of the shelves so that moisture levels remain low.

Send me to Clarion West! - My crowdfunding effort.

I just launched my crowdfunding page to help fund my Clarion West trip on GoGetFunding and I am nervous as heck. Anyway here's a link . Any help or support much appreciated even if it's just to share the link around. Thank you so much!