Skip to main content

30 Days of Write: NaNoWriMo 07!

Official NaNoWriMo 2007 ParticipantWell, it's that crazy time of year again, my friends! Early mornings and late nights, typing and/or scribbling away like nobody's business. Checking incessantly the word processor's word count; despairing that the daily word target hasn't been reached; despairing that ideas have all but dried out.

Yes, the month of November is nigh, and that means it's National Novel Writing Month once again! We all know the drill but here's the lowdown: A participant of NaNoWriMo should write a novel in a month, or at the very least, 50,000 words of prose. Within 30 days.

I failed to complete last year's NaNoWriMo challenge (managed only about 15,000 words)... or even the previous year. I wonder if I'll be able to make it this year? No idea, but I'm giving it a shot anyway!

Last year, I tried writing a fantasy (with sf elements) novel, but this year I'll be attempting a young adult book instead. My idea concerns a bookish, nerdish and completely anti-social boy who is chosen to be one of the children who will oversee the administration of a gateway city between our world and the Netherworld. The city is a portal where all the monsters and ghosts enter our world where they are given licences to spook humankind. It will have so many sexually ambiguous monsters, you'll lose count before you can say "Dumbledore is Gay". That's my elevator pitch anyway. What's yours?

So anyway, good luck to anybody else who's entering this year!

Comments

  1. good luck x 100
    This just might be the year that you complete the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Am considering taking up the challenge, just as a way to force me to write. Have been so uninspired since I got back...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good luck, Sharanya! Hopefully your new location will help the creative juices flowing and spilling:D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good Luck, Ted!

    I missed it for a couple of years, but this year, erm, I'm still not sure.

    But I wish you success!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Becky! Hope you do take part, then I can add you to my NaNoWriMo profile :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Good luck, Ted. If you are having trouble meeting 50 000. Just do what I did two years ago and, ah, toss in lots of streams of consciousness into it. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Swifty. You joining this year?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson: Commemorative Covers are Lame.

Well, I got the first day cover that commemorates the 35th anniversary of the establishment diplomatic relations between China and Malaysia that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Except that it's not a first day cover, it's a commemorative cover, which is a slightly different beast. I guess I should read the news article properly next time! The difference between the two is that first day covers are specially-designed envelopes stuck on with specially-designed stamps, and marked with a specially-designed postmark. A commemorative cover is a specially-designed envelope... and that's it. All in all, it's an unremarkable affair, especially if you're used to well-designed first day covers (not that Malaysian first day covers are well-designed... but I digress). Oh sure, a commemorative cover has a stamp printed right on to it but that's just like an overglorified aerogramme. Lame. On the whole, what a disappointment. I haven't been collecting first day cover

HOWTO: Get Rid of Silverfish

The bane of every book collecting person: the Silverfish. DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!! How to get rid of them? If one book has been infected, place it inside an air-tight plastic bag along with some silica gel desiccant. The silica gel is important to get rid of moisture, because you will now place the sealed plastic bag with the book in it inside the freezer. Leave it in there for a couple of days so that those bugs catch their death of cold. If you're feeling particularly paranoid, (like I usually am) feel free to leave the plastic bag in there for a week. If they're not dead, then you might likely have an infestation of zombie silverfish , which is out of the scope of this blogpost. But what if a whole colony of silverfish decided to invade your whole bookcase? Then you have to make sure you're ready for war. Place a generous amount of silica gel (or if you can find it, diatomaceous earth) behind your books at the back of the shelves so that moisture levels remain low.

Send me to Clarion West! - My crowdfunding effort.

I just launched my crowdfunding page to help fund my Clarion West trip on GoGetFunding and I am nervous as heck. Anyway here's a link . Any help or support much appreciated even if it's just to share the link around. Thank you so much!