Skip to main content

The Latest on Haruki Murakami.

Not sure when they released them but here are the covers for Haruki Murakami's lastest non-fiction book, What I Talk About When I Talk About Running, to be released in late July in the US and early August in UK. (I'm hoping Kinokuniya will be able to provide a pre-release copy before that but I'm not crossing my fingers.)

This is the US cover...
...and this is the UK cover. (Proving that the UK covers for Murakami's English editions of his books remain superior.)

But what's this? A surprise!
No information about this one yet and it's only hitting bookstore shelves in September. I'm hoping it's more non-fiction (I've mentioned many times before that Murakami has a lot of untranslated non-fiction) instead of just a normal diary but that might be asking for too much. But that only begs the question: why? Am I being too naive in hoping that this isn't merely an exercise in cashing in on Murakami's newly-found Western popularity?

Moving on, from Toronto J-Film Pow-wow we discover that Haruki Murakami has given an interview to a journalist from the Japan Times and he throws out nice little titbits for people like me to quote on blogs:
People have their own stories, but when they fall to the depths of their soul, they are sometimes unable to get out of that darkness.
A nice read but most of it is not new. Ah well.

Comments

  1. Love the cover of the UK version!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope it wasn't a diary in a literal sense of words - 12 months calendar with 12 different murakami's book cover. Ah... with monthly planner and all. That'd be bloody ripp off.

    heee.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emila: The UK covers for Murakami always win!

    John: I hope it won't be so! But the fool I am will probably get it anyway! (Justification: need a cool-lookin' diary for '09)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lol! Anything Murakami, Ted will buy!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But only if my wife approves the budget! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. love the cover..if only our local books have the same kind of design

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, I think some of our local publishers are doing quite well in the realm of covers actually. The English books by Matahari and MPH are quite good. The Malay ones by PTS and Wira Bukit aren't bad either.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson: Commemorative Covers are Lame.

Well, I got the first day cover that commemorates the 35th anniversary of the establishment diplomatic relations between China and Malaysia that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Except that it's not a first day cover, it's a commemorative cover, which is a slightly different beast. I guess I should read the news article properly next time! The difference between the two is that first day covers are specially-designed envelopes stuck on with specially-designed stamps, and marked with a specially-designed postmark. A commemorative cover is a specially-designed envelope... and that's it. All in all, it's an unremarkable affair, especially if you're used to well-designed first day covers (not that Malaysian first day covers are well-designed... but I digress). Oh sure, a commemorative cover has a stamp printed right on to it but that's just like an overglorified aerogramme. Lame. On the whole, what a disappointment. I haven't been collecting first day cover

HOWTO: Get Rid of Silverfish

The bane of every book collecting person: the Silverfish. DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!! How to get rid of them? If one book has been infected, place it inside an air-tight plastic bag along with some silica gel desiccant. The silica gel is important to get rid of moisture, because you will now place the sealed plastic bag with the book in it inside the freezer. Leave it in there for a couple of days so that those bugs catch their death of cold. If you're feeling particularly paranoid, (like I usually am) feel free to leave the plastic bag in there for a week. If they're not dead, then you might likely have an infestation of zombie silverfish , which is out of the scope of this blogpost. But what if a whole colony of silverfish decided to invade your whole bookcase? Then you have to make sure you're ready for war. Place a generous amount of silica gel (or if you can find it, diatomaceous earth) behind your books at the back of the shelves so that moisture levels remain low.

Send me to Clarion West! - My crowdfunding effort.

I just launched my crowdfunding page to help fund my Clarion West trip on GoGetFunding and I am nervous as heck. Anyway here's a link . Any help or support much appreciated even if it's just to share the link around. Thank you so much!