Skip to main content

At the Payless Warehouse Sale.

Have been quite busy lately, so it was a blessing in disguise when my wisdom tooth decided it was time to come out. I thanked any diety that was willing to listen to me that I was given a chance to rest. I took the day off, let the wisdom tooth out at a dentist's in USJ, then went to the Payless Warehouse Sale at the 3K Inn in Subang.

The selections weren't half bad. These are what I walked away with (my wallet RM63.50 lighter than it had been):

Fiction
  • Bright Lights, Big City by Jay McInerney
  • Manhattan Transfer by John Dos Passos
  • Dark Star by Alan Furst
  • Valis by Philip K. Dick
  • Wicked: The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory Maguire
  • The Alienist by Caleb Carr
  • More Tales of the City by Armistead Maupuin
  • Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres
  • A Map of the World by Jane Hamilton
  • The Information by Martin Amis
  • Alias Grace by Margaret Atwood
  • Cat's Eye by Margaret Atwood
  • Madame Bovary by Gustave Flaubert, translated by Lowell Bair
  • Riding the Rap by Elmore Leonard
  • Postcards by E. Annie Proulx
  • The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd
Non-Fiction
  • What to Read by Mickey Pearlman, PH.D.
  • Cultural Literacy: What Every American Needs to Know by E.D. Hirsch, Jr.
  • Star Trek Memories by William Shatner with Chris Kreski
Miscellaneous
  • The Pocket Book of Ogden Nash
Pretty cool, huh? Probably the only time you'll see me buy a book of poetry too :p

Comments

  1. 21 books for RM64?!?!?!?


    *bangs head onto wall*

    and i LIVE near 3k. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yep, and I would've bought more if I had more hands! :D

    Yous till got time though... thing runs till Sunday, 10pm.

    ReplyDelete
  3. great list!! you are going to have a lot of fun

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is isn't it? I haven't started reading any of the books yet but my girlfriend has already dived into the copy of Secret Life of Bees... she seems to be enjoying it lots.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey you got cat's eye *jelous* i've been meaning to get it, tapi asyik terbeli newer atwood books.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

I'm going to Clarion West!

So yeah! I'm going to Clarion West this year! If you didn't know, Clarion West is a really awesome science fiction and fantasy writing workshop that runs for six weeks in summer every year at Seattle and is usually taught by a faculty of award-winning authors and editors. Many students who attend this workshop also go on to have illustrious writing careers of their own too. I've been meaning to attend this workshop (or its sister workshop, Clarion UCSD, which is the original Clarion workshop but runs in San Diego around the same time) for years now but never had the courage to apply. Many reasons as to why: didn't think I'd have money for the most part, didn't think I was good enough, didn't think I could leave work long enough, didn't think I could leave family behind, etc. But something sparked inside of me late last year. I felt I should at least give it a go this time round. So I did. They requested a sample of my best work and an applicatio...

REVIEW: Pinball, 1973 by Haruki Murakami.

UPDATE: My Wind/Pinball review can be found here . ISBN: n/a Publisher: n/a Paperback: 160 pages In Murakami fan circles, simply owning a copy of Pinball, 1973 is a mark of hardcore-ness. Like Hear the Wind Sing before it, Haruki Murakami does not allow English translations of Pinball, 1973 to be published outside of Japan. Back in the 80s, Alfred Birnbaum translated it into English and Kodansha published it as a novel for Japanese students who wanted to improve their English. While the English edition of Hear the Wind Sing continues to be reprinted and sold in Japan (and available for a moderate sum via eBay, see my review ), Kodansha stopped its reprint runs of the English edition of Pinball, 1973 and has now become a collector's item, fetching vast amounts of money on auction sites and reseller stores. Last time I checked, the cheapest copy went for USD$2500. Of course, Murakami addicts or the curious can always download a less than legal PDF of the book, painst...

Hitting 1000.

Last night Sharon quoted Raman of having said to writers when they bring him their manuscripts for publishing, "How many books have you read? Have you read a thousand books? If not, get out and go read a thousand books, then come back with your manuscript." His point being, you've got to have read a lot if you want to be a writer. And I thought to myself, a thousand books isn't so bad. I've probably read more. Er...Wrong. After some quick calculations, we determined that if a person read a book per week, it would take around 20 years to reach a thousand. I'm a slow reader. I'm only 25. There's no way I've read 1000 books my whole life! When I got home I counted the books in my house. I estimate I own around 300 books, probably another 300 left at my parents's house. That's only around 600 books that I own... and a lot less that I've read! So with that number in mind, I have resolved to start keeping track of my book reading. I need to...