Skip to main content

The Big Bookstore Sale.

My dad called me up and told me that there was a book sale by Big Bookstore in Atria that would last till the end of the month. He urged me to go because he saw hardcovers of Salman Rushdie's "Shalimar the Clown" being sold for Rm18.90 and thought I'd be interested. I said, I would be interested if they were paperback, but I said I'd go anyway.

Good thing I did... a lot of good novels available at RM10.00 each. Here is what I managed to escape with:

Fiction
  • The Double by Jose Saramago
  • Will You Please Be Quiet, Please? by Raymond Carver
  • Black Snow by Mikhail Bulgakov; translated by Michael Glenny
  • Captain Corelli's Mandolin by Louis de Bernieres
  • Bird Without Wings by Louis de Bernieres
  • To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee
  • Where's My Cow by Terry Pratchett
Non-Fiction
  • To Sir With Love by E.R. Braithwaite
  • Cities by John Reader
  • Visiting Mrs Nabokov (and other excursions) by Martin Amis
  • Classic Railway Journeys of the West by Max Wade-Matthews
I repurchased a copy of "To Kill a Mockingbird" because I've had this urge to reread it, but I can't locate my existing copy. (The perils of having a family that moves around too much.) I hate the cheap mass-paperback cover--the one that's pink. So when I saw them selling the much-cooler black paperback cover for only Rm10.00, I had to get it.

Can't wait to dive into this lot, especially the Martin Amis one! Yay!

Comments

  1. oooooohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ... i must go ....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ho ho ho... I know you will, Sharon...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson: Commemorative Covers are Lame.

Well, I got the first day cover that commemorates the 35th anniversary of the establishment diplomatic relations between China and Malaysia that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Except that it's not a first day cover, it's a commemorative cover, which is a slightly different beast. I guess I should read the news article properly next time! The difference between the two is that first day covers are specially-designed envelopes stuck on with specially-designed stamps, and marked with a specially-designed postmark. A commemorative cover is a specially-designed envelope... and that's it. All in all, it's an unremarkable affair, especially if you're used to well-designed first day covers (not that Malaysian first day covers are well-designed... but I digress). Oh sure, a commemorative cover has a stamp printed right on to it but that's just like an overglorified aerogramme. Lame. On the whole, what a disappointment. I haven't been collecting first day cover

HOWTO: Get Rid of Silverfish

The bane of every book collecting person: the Silverfish. DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!! How to get rid of them? If one book has been infected, place it inside an air-tight plastic bag along with some silica gel desiccant. The silica gel is important to get rid of moisture, because you will now place the sealed plastic bag with the book in it inside the freezer. Leave it in there for a couple of days so that those bugs catch their death of cold. If you're feeling particularly paranoid, (like I usually am) feel free to leave the plastic bag in there for a week. If they're not dead, then you might likely have an infestation of zombie silverfish , which is out of the scope of this blogpost. But what if a whole colony of silverfish decided to invade your whole bookcase? Then you have to make sure you're ready for war. Place a generous amount of silica gel (or if you can find it, diatomaceous earth) behind your books at the back of the shelves so that moisture levels remain low.

Send me to Clarion West! - My crowdfunding effort.

I just launched my crowdfunding page to help fund my Clarion West trip on GoGetFunding and I am nervous as heck. Anyway here's a link . Any help or support much appreciated even if it's just to share the link around. Thank you so much!