Skip to main content

On Writing Nine Lives.

Choon Ean (aka Cean), third prize winner of the Utusan Group Literature Prize emailed me today to tell me about writing her story:
I'm tickled you think my story is a horror story but on reflection the title does sound like one. It actually refers to the proverbial nine lives of a cat, compares the way teenagers live their lives as if they have 9 and also compares the lives of nine teeangers whose lives are linked together. I started out planning a horror story and then decided it wasn't my scene though it would have been easier to write because there is a degree of suspension of disbelief when you handle horror stories.

The story that I finally wrote in 6 days of frantic typing and thinking at the keyboard is a transformational novel, a simple story of how a 15 year old in Malaysia copes with growing up, friends, life at home and in school. So the challenge was how to make it interesting and may the story speak for itself. More challenging to me if you realize I am 52 years old and my eldest son is as old as you. As I wrote it, I never knew what the next line would be, thank god, it just flowed onto the keyboard. I think it was a culmination of memories and experience with handling young people for years and years.

My first critic was my 14 year old son who said, "Hmmm, mum, at times you sound like a 50 year old trying to be a 15 year old and at times you sound like a 15 year old who talks like a 50 year old." Only youth can give me a forthright answer like that. Now he has the cheek to ask for 10% of the prize money. Anyway I handed in my manuscript with half an hour to spare to closing deadline and in pouring rain. I never knew whether it made it in time cos I had to hand it in at the reception and they promised to get it there on the table before closing so I spent the last 6 months wondering if I ever made it to the closing date. Now I know.
Must have been an excruciating 6 months! Her effort is truly an amazing one. Every one who hears six days can't help but gape and go, "Waaaaah!" Deadlines truly are wonderful things. But I wouldn't want to cut it too close like she did when submitting the story!

Comments

  1. haha! now you go getting a better human interest angle!! this is inspiring for sure and just shows what great things can come out in the first draft

    ReplyDelete
  2. hehe... well i couldn't let her email go to waste sitting in my inbox! So envious of her... i can never get my first six drafts right...

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Lesson: Commemorative Covers are Lame.

Well, I got the first day cover that commemorates the 35th anniversary of the establishment diplomatic relations between China and Malaysia that I mentioned a couple of posts ago. Except that it's not a first day cover, it's a commemorative cover, which is a slightly different beast. I guess I should read the news article properly next time! The difference between the two is that first day covers are specially-designed envelopes stuck on with specially-designed stamps, and marked with a specially-designed postmark. A commemorative cover is a specially-designed envelope... and that's it. All in all, it's an unremarkable affair, especially if you're used to well-designed first day covers (not that Malaysian first day covers are well-designed... but I digress). Oh sure, a commemorative cover has a stamp printed right on to it but that's just like an overglorified aerogramme. Lame. On the whole, what a disappointment. I haven't been collecting first day cover

HOWTO: Get Rid of Silverfish

The bane of every book collecting person: the Silverfish. DUN DUN DUNNNNN!!! How to get rid of them? If one book has been infected, place it inside an air-tight plastic bag along with some silica gel desiccant. The silica gel is important to get rid of moisture, because you will now place the sealed plastic bag with the book in it inside the freezer. Leave it in there for a couple of days so that those bugs catch their death of cold. If you're feeling particularly paranoid, (like I usually am) feel free to leave the plastic bag in there for a week. If they're not dead, then you might likely have an infestation of zombie silverfish , which is out of the scope of this blogpost. But what if a whole colony of silverfish decided to invade your whole bookcase? Then you have to make sure you're ready for war. Place a generous amount of silica gel (or if you can find it, diatomaceous earth) behind your books at the back of the shelves so that moisture levels remain low.

Send me to Clarion West! - My crowdfunding effort.

I just launched my crowdfunding page to help fund my Clarion West trip on GoGetFunding and I am nervous as heck. Anyway here's a link . Any help or support much appreciated even if it's just to share the link around. Thank you so much!